NCF to become first solar powered campus in Bicol
NAGA CITY --- The Naga College Foundation will be the first solar-powered campus in the Bicol Region. This became officially known during the 70th foundation anniversary of the pioneering private college that first opened as the Naga Teachers College back in 1947. NCF President Mario C. Villanueva led the anniversary celebration last Monday, Feb. 20, with a number of colorful and fun-filled activities to highlight the momentous occasion. One of the milestones that marked the celebration was the launching of its solar power system, in partnership with the Ruel Hsiang (Philippines) Corporation, a renewable energy developer, operator and engineering, procurement and construction company with its main office in Taiwan. The NCF had invited Naga City Major John Bongat, an advocate of renewable energy as special guest during the launching ceremony. To be completed in March, this year, the solar power system will produce 1,500 kw/day. This can be translated into a 450,00 kw/month where the excess power generated from the NCF’s actual power consumption will be sold to Casureco II. Given that kilowatt hour generated and the corresponding power consumption bill saved, it will be easier for the NCF to amortize the cost of the solar power systems installed, until they are fully paid in such a manner that NCF will fully own the system, and hence will no longer be spending a single centavo for its power consumption. Moreover, a solar power system is brownout-free. In his message, Mayor Bongat underscored that renewable sources of energy, such as the solar power system, are robustly entering the era of undercutting fuel prices in the light of pricey and yet diminishing supply of the traditional fossil oils, such as coal and gasoline. He reiterated that renewable energy is cheap --- and solar and wind are the cheapest among them. NCF history It has come a long way since the late Dr. Melchor Trinidad Villanueva in 1947 founded the Naga Teachers College. Its primary goal then was to train students for the teaching profession and to make quality education accessible to ordinary Bicolanos. Three years later, or in 1950, the Naga Teachers College became Naga College, as it acquired its own site and continued to expand to where it now stands. Programs in the College, and Graduate levels, as well as Technical non-degree courses, were offered. In 1987, Naga College was chartered by the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) as a non-stock, non-profit institution. It was soon transformed to Naga College Foundation as it continues to expand its course offerings. Since then, it has become one of the leading educational institutions in the Bicol Region serving as a major partner in regional, as well as, national development. It has been bruited about that the Naga College Foundation will soon open its own College of Medicine.