Tourists stranded by gale warning in Calaguas Isles

April 6, 2017

 

By Juan Escandor Jr.

NAGA CITY--- About 200 tourists were stranded Sunday (April 2) because of the gale over Calagauas Islands in Vinzons, Camarines Norte, the Camarines Norte Provincial Tourism Office said Tuesday.

Bong Palma, provincial tourism officer, however, said only about 20 tourists remain in the Calaguas Islands after the majority of those stranded were able to reach Vinzons on Tuesday.

Palma said all tourists are safe and no untoward incident happened.

He said on Saturday morning there were 7 boats or around 70 tourists from Paracale town and another 4 boats of about 50 tourists from Vinzons town that left for Calaguas Islands.

Palma said the Philippine Coast Guard had given the gale warning over the waters going to Calaguas Islands which generated waves of about 2.5 meters high and wind speed of 27-30 knots.

The gale warning was heeded by tour operators so that no one dared to leave Calaguas Islands on Sunday, he said.

“That is the right decision for their safety while we continuously monitor the tourists through the barangay captain of Mahabang Buhangin (the most visited beach in Calaguas Islands),” Palma said.

He said that on Tuesday after several boats arrived in Vinzons town the ferrying of tourists had been suspended because of the continuing gale.




 

Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Please reload