DE disagrees with Duterte’s criticism on ‘lowest bid’ rule

August 3, 2017

 

By Juan Escandor Jr.

NAGA CITY---Totally disagreeing President Duterte’s criticism on the ‘lowest bid’ rule in contracting government projects during his second State of the Nation Address (SONA), a government engineer here said she does not believe on it.

Camarines Sur Second Engineering District head Rebecca Roces, in an interview with the local media last week, said it is not about the lowest bid or highest bid.

Roces said the projects approved under the program of the Department of Highways and Public Works (DPWH) had studied the submitted proposals before awarding the contracts.

“Hindi naman siguro. Wala yan sa lowest or highest bidder. Hindi ako naniniwala dyan. (Maybe it is not. It is not about the lowest or highest bidder. I don’t believe in that.,” she retorted, when asked about her opinion regarding the pronouncement of President Duterte against the rule of lowest bid.

“Ang magbabasak ng lowest bid iyong walang pera. Ang magbabagsak ng lowest bid sasabihin niya doon sa… “Magbibigay po ako sainyo.” Kung sino-sino iyan na mga opisyal. (Those bidding the lowest have no money. Those making the lowest bid will say to them… “I will give to you. For several officials.),” he said.

President Duterte said the lowest bid is made to win and with no capital the money is given away to the government officials.

“Pagkatapos niyan (After that) if it’s 100 million peso project, he has to pay so many guys… and out of P100M, P40M (are what was left),” he said.

President Duterte said he was around the country and he noticed that one airport ended up as basketball court.

He also mentioned several projects with non-delivery of the supposed equipment and facilities.

President Duterte then urged Congress to thoroughly review the existing procurement laws, and come up with legislation that ensure prompt delivery of goods and services to the people.



 

Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Please reload