By Nathalie C. Ranin, Ph.D.
“Hail this festival day! Blest day to be hollowed forever
when we in Mary’s praise our joyful anthem raise.”
On the Solemnity of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary, August 15, 2018, the USI Community held the annual celebration of the “Pagsunko ni INA” to the Universidad de Sta. Isabel. The Blessing of the Frassati Gymnasium of USI also coincided with the Feast of the Assumption.
The Gymnasium was named after Blessed Pier Giorgio Frassati. Blessed Frassati, was born on April 6, 1901. At the age of 17, he joined the Society of St. Vincent de Paul (SSVP) and developed a deep spiritual life. He dedicated much of his time to serving the sick and the needy, caring for orphans and assisting the demobilized servicemen returning from World War 1. Whatever little he had, he gave to help the poor, even giving his bus fare to charity and then ran home to be on time for meals. The poor and suffering were his masters. His charity did not simply involve giving something to others but giving completely of himself which resulted to poliomyelitis. He died on July 4, 1925 at the age of 24. His mortal remains were found completely intact and incorrupt upon their exhumation on March 31, 1981. He was beatified on May 20, 1990 by Pope St. John Paul II. He was called a “Man of the Beatitudes” and “Joyful Apostle of Christ.”
The Frassati Gymnasium was upgraded to coincide with the Sesquicentennial Celebration of Universidad de Sta. Isabel. The Frassati Gymnasium is intended to provide a venue for Physical Education (P.E.) and National Service Training Program (NSTP) Classes of our Isabelinos and Isabelinas.
The Blessing of the Frassati Gynmasium was officiated by Fr. Jay Jacinto and Fr. Rex Alarcon, and followed by the Institutional Mass in honor of Our INA de Penafrancia. This was attended by distinguished Guests from Private and Public Institutions, representatives from ONE-USI Campuses, USI Stakeholders, Daughters of Charity USI Community headed by Sr. Araceli Loredo, D.C. and Sr. Lourdes L. Albis, the University President who made the upgrading of the Frassati Gymnasium possible.