Archbishop Rolando Tria Tirona, OCD presided over the celebration together with the Bishop Manolo de los Santos, a Caramoanon Bishop, and priests from Caramoan and other guest priests. The church was filled with the parishioners and guests from other parishes to celebrate the important event.
The Archbishop emphasized in his homily the importance of remembering the gift of faith that the missionaries have brought to this place, celebrating it with gratitude, and looking forward with greater hope and commitment for a stronger Catholic Faith.
Before the Mass ended, Archbishop Tirona has left to the parish priest, Fr Larry Delos Santos, his gifts of four Balayong Trees, a tree species know for its flowers resembling cherry blossoms, as a symbol of continuing growth and flourishing Faith in its 400th Year as community in Caramoan Peninsula with emphasis on greater commitment and care for creation.
In the account of parish history, it was mentioned that in 1619, a friar named Francisco dela Cruz y Oropesa initiated the mission in Caramoan Peninsula by exploring a forested land and establishing community in a place called ‘Baluarte’. This community later on became the parish community. Thus, the celebration of the evangelization in the peninsula.
The Parish of St. Michael the Archangel known for its centuries-old red brick Church, is now a mother parish of four parishes; namely, Sacred Heart Parish in Garchitorena, St. Dominic of Guzman Parish in Tabgon, Our Lady of Peace and Good Voyage in Guijalo, and St. Anthony of Padua in Bikal.
Aside from the pristine beaches, rock formations and forests that attract visitors and tourist, Caramoan is also know for it’s old brick church, and for the religiosity of it’s people and for priestly vocations. The Parish has produced two bishops, Bishop Manolo de los Santos and Bishop Rex Andrew Alarcon, and several priests who are now serving in the archdiocese. -Fr Eric Bobis