top of page

Marcos names 5 camps after PNP heroes in Bicol

By Rhaydz B. Barcia


LEGAZPI CITY --- To pay tribute to the heroism of policemen who offered their lives against the government’s enemy, President Marcos Jr. renamed five police camps in Bicol after the Bicolano policemen who defended the Filipino people and the nation.


Police Brig. Gen. Andre P. Dizon, Bicol police regional director, said that President Marcos named the five new camps as the government’s expression of paying homage to the heroism of Bicolano cops who exhibited unwavering dedication and sacrificed their lives to protect and serve.


The president signed Proclamation No. 429 on December 20, 2023, designating the following names for camps and real properties in the region, such as, Camp Police Max Jim Tria, the 504th Maneuver Company, Regional Mobile Force Battalion 5 in Barangay Esperanza, Pilar, Sorsogon, is named after Police Capt. Max Jim Tria, a native of Virac, Catanduanes, member of the “Fallen 44 who was known as the “Last Man Standing” during the bloody encounter in Mamasapano, Maguindanao, on January 25, 2015.


Tria is one of the youngest graduates of PNPA KAISANG-BISIG Class 2009. He was a top-notch trainee at a sniper school. He attended the elite training of Scout Rangers and Commando after graduating from the PNPA;


He was among the “SAF 44” who were killed in an encounter with more or less 700 fully armed combined members of Moro Islamic Liberation Front (MILF), Bangsamoro Islamic Freedom Fighters (BIFF) and Private Armed Groups (PAGs) during the implementation on OPLAN EXODUS to serve Warrants of Arrest against International terrorists and bomb makers Zulkifli Abdhir a.k.a. Marwan and Bassit Usman in Tukanalipao, Mamasapano, Maguindanao on January 25, 2015.



Tria was described as the “Tiger” on the battlefield and was posthumously awarded by President Rodrigo Duterte the “Medalya ng Kagitingan” (PNP Medal of Valor), Medalya ng Kabayanihan, Medalya ng Katapangan, and Order of Lapu-Lapu Magalong Medal along with his 43 comrades.


Proclamation No. 430 renamed the Camarines Sur 1st Provincial Mobile Force Company Headquarters as camp in honor of 2LT Carlos Rafael Paz Imperial of the Philippine Constabulary, who displayed gallantry and bravery in an encounter against 40 heavily armed Communist Terrorists at Sitio Bariis, Barangay San Jose, Tinambac, Camarines Sur, on February 8, 1989.


Imperial was born on December 4, 1966 in San Vicente, Pili, Camarines Sur and a member of the PMA Class of 1988. He was appointed Second Lieutenant in the regular force of the Philippine Constabulary, Armed Forces of the Philippines on March 12, 1988 and was assigned to 5th Regional Special Action Battalion (5RSAB) Camp Bagong Ibalon, Legazpi City.


Imperial led one section of 5th RSAB personnel sent to verify the reported presence of heavily armed communist terrorist groups (CTGs) in Barangay San Jose, Tinambac, Camarines Sur.


On February 8, 1989, they were able to locate the CTG encampment at Sitio Bariis of the said barangay and surprised the enemy’s morning drills.


The fire-fight lasted for about two hours resulting in the death of at least fifteen communist-terrorists and wounded several others. However, Imperial and four of his men were killed in that gun battle when more CTG troops cornered the government soldiers who came from three well-fortified outposts. The rebels with their superior firepower were able to regroup and attacked them.


The fire fight lasted for more than an hour and the enemy were able to overrun the location of 2Lt. Imperial and his men.


On July 28, 1989, a posthumous award of the Gold Cross was given by General Renato S De Villa, then the AFP Chief of Staff for Imperial’s gallantry.


The president also named a donated lot in Barangay Balogo, Pasacao, Camarines Sur, as Camp Brigadier General Ludovico Padilla Arejola, that stands as a tribute to the valiant service and heroic deeds of the Bicolano hero Ludovico Padilla Arejola, a patriotic revolutionist and native son of Camarines Sur who fought against the Americans during the Filipino-American War in the province of Camarines Sur.


Arejola, a Bicolano Revolutionist who fought the Americans during the Filipino-American War in Amos Camarines was born on January 31, 1861. Arejola along with his father together with 79 others were arrested upon the discovery of Katipunan in Manila and deported to Poo Island, a Spanish Penal Colony off the west coast of Africa.


After his release, he was associated with General Emilio Aguinaldo and was appointed as Colonel to organize the Militia Territorial in Camarines and Catanduanes and was later acclaimed as the Commander-in-Chief of the reorganized army (10,000 Bicolano Partisan).


On March 25, 1901, he was promoted as Brigadier General. During the Presidency of William Howard Taft, he accepted the post as clerk of court of the 1st instance in Nueva Caceres and devoted himself to the welfare of the Bicolano war veterans.


Marcos also named the lot donated to the Police Regional Office (PRO5), where the Albay Police Provincial Office is situated, as Captain Salvador Jaucian del Rosario Sr. camp. Del Rosario was a native of Ligao City, Albay. He was a war veteran and Death March survivor who died in the line of duty after volunteering in a mopping out operation of Japanese snipers in Mt. Quittwinan, Camalig, Albay on April 29, 1945;


Del Rosario Sr., was born on February 2, 1914 in Ligao City, Albay. He served as captain of the 5511 Infantry BN of the 52 Division- Sandico Recognized Guerilla Unit and ROTC commanding officer of the Far Eastern University from 1939 to 1940.


Unfortunately, Del Rosario was hit on his right thigh. Since his group was outnumbered, his men had to run for their lives, leaving the wounded Captain Del Rosario at the mercy of the enemies.


He was found dead after three days with five Japanese soldiers around him, a sign that he still fought back the enemies although he was already wounded.


In Camarines Sur, the province’s Police Provincial Office is named after war veteran Colonel Juan Querubin Miranda, the 1st representative of the 1st District of Camarines Sur from 1946-1949. He led the revolution against the Japanese invaders and authored the law declaring Naga City an independent Chartered City in Camarines Sur.


Born on March 8, 1912 in Canaman, Camarines Sur, Miranda, a sergeant of the Philippine Army assigned in Legazpi City before the onset of World War II.


He established the Tangcong Vaca Guerilla Unit, the first anti-Japanese resistance group in Camarines Sur, with Elias Madrid and Leon SA Aureus.


The unit was in the forefront against the Japanese invaders from 1942 to 1945. Miranda’s group, together with other guerrilla forces, was able to liberate the town of Naga (now Naga City) twice and successfully saved many lives of American and Filipino soldiers incarcerated by the Japanese during the war.


His most significant legislative undertaking was when he sponsored a bill creating Naga City as an independent chartered city of Camarines Sur, which was duly approved on December 15, 1946 by Republic Act No. 305.


He was the first Representative of the 1st District of Camarines Sur in the 1st Congress of the Commonwealth of the Philippines (1946-1949).


These newly named camps and real properties symbolize the gratitude and reverence that the Bicol Region holds towards the brave heroes. The dedication of these locations is a testament to their tireless efforts in preserving peace and security in the area. This gesture also reminds all that their sacrifices are not forgotten, and their contributions are forever acknowledged, the official said.


bottom of page