top of page

Magsaysay Avenue regreening soon to start

By Armie B. Gunay NAGA CITY --- A greening project along Magsaysay Avenue, the city’s entertainment and dining hub, will soon be underway to give it a facelift and make the busy strip more livable and environment-friendly to visitors and habitués. The task will be carried on by the Magsaysay Lifestyle Development and Greening Council, a group of business owners and restaurant operators who will be working jointly with the city government and related agencies for their own benefit and those of their clients. One of the specific tasks, aside from making the avenue cleaner and greener, is to strike a balance between allocating parking areas for vehicles on one hand and safer and more space for pedestrians to stroll along on the other. According to Mayor John Bongat, Magsaysay Avenue being one of the areas generating revenues for the city, it is only fair that its development and upkeep must be given special attention to, to provide convenience to both the people patronizing it and to an environment that makes the place hospitable and healthy. Middle of last year, old trees that lined the avenue had been razed to the ground to give way to the road widening project by the DPWH that created debate among the residents. Meanwhile, the city government announced that work on the new modern sanitary landfill in Bgy. San Isidro is underway. Fencing around the 10- hectare dumpsite and the earthwork components have been started. In related development, closure of the old Balatas open dumpsite is expected to be 70% completed in two months’ time. The remaining 30% of the work undone will allow the dumpsite to accommodate the city’s regular garbage collection while the sanitary landfill is undergoing construction.

bottom of page