top of page

Students, OSY ready for summer job under DOLE SPES

Legazpi City – At least 3,563 high school students and out-of-school youth (OSY) in the region will become recipients of this year’s Special Program for Employment of Student (SPES) of the Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE) Bicol.

Atty. Alvin M. Villamor, regional director said that the department has released P11,928,751.24 for the implementation of the program in all six (6) provinces of Bicol.

Camarines Sur has 948 beneficiaries; Albay, 910; Camarines Norte, 338; Catanduanes, 328; Masbate, 341 and; Sorsogon 698 student-workers.

“Some of the beneficiaries will be deployed to various LGUs and private companies and will start this April wherein they will render service for 20 days. While others are still processing their requirements. We are also waiting for the placement reports to be submitted by the provincial field offices for them to begin in their respective jobs,” said Villamor.

For the salaries of the student workers, he said, the 60% of the applicable minimum wage or hiring rate shall be shouldered by the employer. While the remaining 40% shall be paid by DOLE.

Villamor noted that eligible applicants must be at least 15 years old but not more than 30 years of age. The students must have obtained at least an average passing grade during the last semester/ school year attended.

For OSY, they must be duly certified as OSY. Also, the combined net income tax of parents including his/her own income must not exceed the regional poverty threshold.

He added: “The beneficiaries either working in private/ public establishments, are entitled to an insurance coverage for a period of one year.”

Here is the application process for the next batch of applicants or interested individuals:

* The student/OSY shall apply in person at the nearest Public Employment Service Office (PESO) in his/ her area or LGU and undergo preliminary interview and screening.

* The PESO shall match the student/ OSY’s qualifications with the requirements of the participating employer.

* If qualified to a vacancy, he/ she shall be referred for consideration of the employer. In case the student/ OSY is not hired, he/she shall be referred to other participating employer/s.

The SPES is an annual employment program for students that helps to immerse them in government and private partner agencies in order to hone their sense of leadership and public service.

bottom of page