top of page

Bread sharing program launched

SORSOGON CITY --- For the Sorsogon provincial government, providing freshly baked bread to indigent families and free flour to local bakers is hitting two birds with one stone. Not only will this help bakers with their flour needs but also provide additional food aid to households that needed it the most.

The provincial government called this measure to the extended community quarantine (ECQ) due to the coronavirus disease (Covid-19) pandemic the bread sharing program (BSP).

Through the donation of the San Miguel Corporation, the provincial government was able to provide 238 local bakers with four bags of flour each and free bread to the poor families where these bakers operate.

According to Gov. Francis "Chiz" Escudero, bakery owners who received the donated flour will give 30 percent of their baked goods to residents of their respective towns, while they can sell the remaining 70 percent as additional income.

Under the BSP, the town mayor is responsible for identifying the beneficiaries of the free bread.

The local government took inspiration from the initiative of the Diocese of Sorsogon, which has been providing free bread in the province through its "Bread of Life: Bishop's Bread Project."

The Church project is in partnership with 42 local bakers all over the province where they also share 30 percent of their baked goods to poor communities for free.

"Mirroring this program, we could cover more poor communities as well as help the local baking industry in the province," Escudero said.

Bread is an important source of carbohydrates and an integral part of Filipino diet.

It contains carbohydrates, the source of glucose, which he human body converts into energy to fuel bodily functions and physical activity.

In the food pyramid guide provided by the Food and Nutrition Research Institute, it is recommended that Filipinos should eat 5-6 servings of bread per day.

Nutritionist-dietician Chi Borromeo said that malnourished children in impoverished families should be given twice the number of their daily intakes.

She said if a child eats 2-3 slices of bread a day that serving should be doubled, adding that a dressing like vegetable and meat or egg spread can make for a one meal exchange.

bottom of page