Suspended Catanduanes gov to reassume post
LEGAZPI CITY --- Catanduanes Gov. Joseph Cua is set to reassume his post as on Thursday, Apr. 30 after serving his one-year suspension for an administrative offense slapped on him by the Office of the Ombudsman (OMB) last year.
Cua’s reassumption as governor was confirmed on Tuesday, Apr. 28 by Uldarico Razal, Department of Interior and Local Government (DILG) Catanduanes provincial director, after Cua sought a clearance from DILG for him to assume his post having complied with the Ombudsman suspension order.
Lawyer Anthony Nuyda, DILG Bicol regional director, has advised Cua “not to assume earlier than April 30 this year,” citing Article 13 of the Civil Code of the Philippines, which states that “When the laws speak of years, months, days or nights, it shall be understood that years are of three hundred sixty-five days each; months, of thirty days; days, of twenty-four hours; and nights from sunset to sunrise”. Thus, Cua’s one year suspension will end on Apr. 29.
A source said Catanduanes acting governor Shirley Abundo, who is the province’s vice governor, would vacate her temporary post a day earlier.
Razal said preparations for the formal turnover ceremony are being set on Thursday.
Cua, in January his year tried to assume his post as the duly elected governor of the province asserting that he has already complied with the OMB suspension for an administrative offense.
His assumption was blocked by DILG Sec. Eduardo Ano who did not recognize Cua’s assumption of office. Año ordered Cua to vacate his post pending the resolution of his case by the OMB.
Cua’s administrative case stemmed from a complaint filed against him for allowing E.R. Construction to use a vacant lot owned by the provincial government without authority from the Sangguniang Panlalawigan.