Gainza extends liquor ban

GAINZA, Camarines Sur---The local government here has recently extended the implementation of the liquor ban until Sept. 30 after four new transmissions of coronavirus disease (Covid-19) were listed in the town.


To recall, the Sangguniang Bayan passed an ordinance implementing the liquor ban within the municipality untill Sept. 12 after the first Covid-19 patient, identified as Bicol # 1068, a 22 years old male and working as a machine operator in Naga City, was recorded.

Mayor Leonardo Agor Sr., said that most of the new patients here were infected due to drinking sessions.

He said the implementation of Aug. 26-Sept. 12 liquor ban was declared after his meeting with the Incident Management Team (IMT).

The mayor said he ordered town officials to implement the extended liquor ban.

Earlier this month, on Sept. 2, the Department of Health (DOH) in Bicol has registered three additional cases in the town including three males from barangays of District 1 and 2 aged 19, 25, and 58.

On Sept. 4, a 60-years old woman of barangay Cagbunga tested positive for Covid-19. She was admitted at the Bicol Medical Center (BMC) while her exposure history remains under verification.

Lt. Jonathan Alfelor, Gainza police chief said that violators of the liquor ban will pay a fine of P300 for first offence, P500 for second offense, and P1000 for third offense.

Alfelor said violators who cannot pay the fines will perform community service.

As of press time, Gainza has five confirmed cases of Covid-19. Four of the five are active cases.