Albay gears up as Mayon continues its “increased unrest”

By Sally A. Altea


LEGAZPI City --- With Mayon Volcano’s status now elevated to Alert level 2 due to its increasing unrest, the provincial government of Albay warned the public to avoid entry and cease any human activity within the six-kilometer permanent danger zone (PDZ).

“All human activities or entry within the six-kilometer radius PDZ of Mayon Volcano are strictly prohibited especially in its southern portion,” Rosal said in an advisory released Saturday.


Rosal urged the local DRRMCs to review and prepare their action plans once alert level 3 status is officially declared.


“The concerned DRRMOs are hereby ordered to be on alert status and sustain coordination with APSEMO. They are also directed to conduct coordinating conferences with local DRRM council members and local stakeholders,” he said.


Rosal also stressed the prohibition of mountain climbing, orchid picking, hiking, camping, and other related recreational activities.


The areas cited under the 6-km PDZ are barangay Lidong in Sto Domingo, upper areas of Padang, Buyuan, Matanag, Bonga and Mabinit in Legazpi City; Bañadero, Matnog, Salvacion, Misi and Malobago in Daraga; and Quirangay, Tumpa, Sua, Anoling and Tinubran in Camalig.


It also included Maninila, Muladbucad Grande, Pequeno and Tadarora in Guinubatan; Baligang and Amtic in Ligao City; Magapo, Buang and Buhian in Tabaco City; and Canaway, Calbayog and upper San Roque in Malilipot.


Rosal further cautioned the vulnerable population residing along valleys and river channels to remain vigilant against sediment-laden stream-flows and lahars in the event of prolonged and heavy rainfall reaching 40-60 mm/hour in the presence of weather disturbances.


Albay Rep. Joey Salceda has likewise requested the Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD) to prepare for possible evacuation and relief operations.


“While the risk remains completely manageable, may we request your team’s usual alertness and prepositioning of resources for possible mobilization should there be a need for evacuation and relief,” Salceda cited in a request letter addressed to DSWD Secretary Erwin Tulfo.


The DSWD Regional Office 5 has earlier reported late last week some 31, 092 family food packs and P5 million standby fund as part of the preparedness response for the raising of Mayon Volcano to alert level 2. (PIA5/Albay)