Legazpi tourist arrival increases by over 300%
By Cet Dematera
The tourist arrival in Legazpi City has increased by more than 300 percent this year compared to the same period last year after the City’s Tourism Office (CTO) officially announced that different national and local organizations could already conduct their meetings, incentives, conference, exhibitions (MICE) and other big gatherings in the city.
CTO chief Agapita Pacres said that her office has recorded already 81,862 domestic and 1,409 foreign tourists or a total of 83,271 individuals in the second quarter as compared to 24,819 domestic and 53 foreign tourists or a total of 24,872 individuals in same period last year, or a whopping increase of 58,399 visitors or 334.8 percent.
She said that the Mayon 360 and Ronda Pilipinas, both bicycle races, already took place last June 26 and March 13, respectively, and were joined by hundreds of national cyclists.
“Twenty-five more national and local organizations have formally signified already their intention to hold their events. Some participants in these events are expected to bring with them their families and friends and they will be counted as additional tourists in Legazpi,” Pacres said.
Pacres said that she already met with the owners of different hotels and restaurants in the city to properly serve and provide the necessary security measures to protect their customers so that they would enjoy their stay in the city.
Pacres said that she advised those organizations who wanted to hold their events to follow the minimum health standard as part of the protocol in order to prevent the spread of Covid-19 virus.
“It is very unfortunate for us because the celebration of Ibalong festival was postponed again for three consecutive years as this festival is considered as one of the big drawers of tourists in our city,” Pacres added.
She said that Mayor Geraldine Rosal ordered the cancellation of this year’s celebration of the Ibalong festival due to the increasing number of Covid-19 cases.
“But the tourists who wanted to spend their vacation here are still welcome as long as they follow the health protocol issued by the government,” Pacres added.