‘Marian guards’ ready for deployment for Ina’s feast
By Paulo DS. Papa
THE members of the Cofradia de San Jose, now more than 3,500 in numbers, has manifested its readiness to once again secure the images of the Our Lady of Peñafrancia and El Divino Rostro from the rowdy voyadores during traslacion and fluvial processions that will be held on September 8 and 16, this year.
Engr. William Menes, the president of the brotherhood, said that they see that their total may still exceed a little over 4,000 before the celebration of the fiesta next month due to the number of applicants who have signified to join them.
Aside from the devotees residing in the third district of the province who signified their intention to join the group, Menes said that are also men living in the municipalities of Partido area who wish to become members of the Cofradia. On September 2, this year, the group will be recruiting new members at St. Joseph parish in San Jose Partido, Camarines Sur.
In an interview, Menes told Bicol Mail that his organization does not limit the number of devotees who are willing to serve as guards of Ina and that of the Divino Rostro during the processions.
Menes said that they are undertaking a close coordination with the Archdiocese of Caceres with regards to their plans in so far as their participation in the processions and other religious activities this coming fiesta are concerned.
He said that he is going to their plans before the members of the different task groups during a meeting organized by the Joint Operation Center (JOC).
Meanwhile, the leadership of the Philippine Army in Bicol will not participate this year in the processions they, however, assured the JOC that there are Army soldiers who will be mobilized to ensure a festive, orderly, and peaceful celebrations of the fiesta.