More workers apply for DOLE cash aid

By Cet Dematera


The number of displaced workers due the Covid-19 pandemic and the typhoons that hit Bicol has climbed up further a week after the Department of Labor and Employment’s (DOLE) announcement that it is expanding its coverage of potential beneficiaries.


As of Dec. 7 (Monday), DOLE Bicol spokesperson Johanna Vi Gasga said that 12,525 displaced workers already received P5,000 each from Covid-19 Adjustment Measures or CAMP with total amount of P62.625-million; 19,577 affected workers availed of cash aid from Tulong Panghanapbuhay ng Ating mga Displaced/Disadvantaged Workers or TUPAD, amounting to P90.48-million; and 706 overseas Filipino workers from AKAP amounting to P7.06-million.


CAMP is targeting 43,537 beneficiaries, including those displaced in the tourism and education sectors; while TUPAD, 40,000 typhoon affected or Covid-19 displaced workers across Bicol, with combined budget of over P350-million.


DOLE-Bicol director Joel Gonzales said during the agency’s 87th Anniversary celebration on Tuesday that they are glad to be given the opportunity to serve the Filipino people, particularly those who were affected by the Covid-19 pandemic and the strong typhoons that battered the region last month.


“Thank you for giving us the opportunity to serve you. That’s why, from the DOLE family in Bicol, we will continue to elevate and improve our services to the Bicolanos. Happy commemoration of the 87th Anniversary of DOLE,” Gonzales said in Pilipino.


DOLE has announced last week that it is expanding the coverage of CAMP program to freelance workers or independent contractors, and even to those who already received P5,000 each from the first release of this cash assistance in April this year.


Gasga said that they announced the expanded coverage of displaced workers as contained in DOLE’s Labor Advisory No. 30-A series of 2020, titled “CAMP-Bayanihan 2 Expanded Coverage of Affected Workers.”


Gasga said the advisory orders them to include online applications of workers “that are engaged to perform the job, work, or service on its own account and under one’s own responsibility , and whose employment was severed or suspended due to the Covid-19 pandemic shall likewise be covered under CAMP-Bayanihan 2.”


Gasga said even those workers who already received P5,000 cash assistance from CAMP under Bayanihan 1 are now allowed to apply.


“In the past days, we are disqualifying those who already received cash aid under Bayanihan 1 last April. With this recent advisory we will include them already in Camp under Bayanihan 2. But we must take note that CAMP slots could be availed of on a first come, first serve basis only,” Gasga told Bicol Mail.


Requirements in applying are clear photo of the applicant; copy of the BIR Form 2303 or Certificate of Registration; or income tax return (ITR); or copy of latest service agreement or contract covering March 17, 2020 onwards.


Gasga admitted though that the number of online applications in CAMP had increased in the past days following sustained drumbeating in media.


CAMP-DOLE is targeting 30,023 beneficiaries; CAMP-tourism, 12,788 workers from the tourism industry; and, CAMP-education 725 displaced workers in the education sector, that may come from the public or private schools, Gasga said.


“Also, the increase in online applications started when we put up DOLE 5’s help desks that assist walk-in applicants to apply online,” she noted.


Gasga said that DOLE Bicol continuously encouraging workers displaced by the Covid-19 pandemic and the destructive typhoons that hit Bicol to avail of the government cash assistance by applying in DOLE’s website address: reports.dole.gov.ph/