Paving the roads ahead: The Naga’s Infrastructure and Development Roadmap
By Jason B. Neola
THE City Government of Naga done a good job in its endeavor to include in the 2023-2028 Bicol Regional Tourism Development Plan at least 18 tourism-related projects that will further boost the city’s socio-economic growth.
The projects are contained in the infrastructure development portfolio of Naga Mayor Nelson Legacion, which he certified as “very relevant and crucial to the tourism development of the city” as the center of trade, investment, and tourism in the Bicol Region.
On joint and collective motion, the city councilors has adopted Resolution No. 2023-265 which fully endorses Legacion’s proposed infra projects to the Bicol Regional Tourism Committee (BRTC), the Department of Tourism in Bicol, and the National Economic Development Authority. The resolution is one of the requirements to consider the projects for evaluation.
The first group of the projects were presented by Legacion in a meeting with the BRTC in March 2023 while the second one were presented by City Councilor Jose B. Perez during the May 17, 2023 special meeting of the BRTC.
The projects presented last May 17, 2023:
1. Rehabilitation and upgrading of the Naga Airport – P10.62-B
2. Restoration and rehabilitation of the PNR Shuttle Commuter Rail System
2. a. Sipocot-Naga-Legazpi – P60-B
2. b. Rest of South Luzon Project – P115-B
3. Improvement of the 57.60 km Del Gallego to Sipocot Road along the Andaya Highway –P1.2-B
4. Construction of Port/Pier (Pasacao, Camarines Sur to San Pascual, Masbate – P300-M
5. Ferry Service to Mercedes and Calaguas, both of Camarines Norte, and Siruma of Camarines Sur via Bicol River and San Miguel Bay- P600-M
6. Construction of Caramoan-Catanduanes Connection Bridge and Highway (10km Friendship Bridge) – P30-B
7. Improvement/rehabilitation of JMR Coliseum – P200-M, and;
8. Construction of modern skating plaza – P10-M
Perez reported in his privilege speech on May 23 Sangguniang Panlungsod regular session that the abovementioned additional projects have unanimously been approved during the May 17, 2023 BRTC meeting.
As regards with the projects already presented earlier by the city mayor that are already incorporated in the Bicol Regional Tourism Development Plan for 2023-2028:
1. Road along Naga-Camaligan Fishing Port – P38.4-M
2. Integrated Naga River Revitalization Project – P300-M
3. Cultural and Heritage Preservation Projects – P200-M
4. Sports Tourism Projects – P200-M
5. People’s Park and Recreation Center – P800-M
6. Bicol River Esplanade – P464.5-M
7. Mt. Isarog Natural Park Development – P400-M
8. Panicuason to Malabsay Access Road Component – P20-M
9. Establishment of Bicol Regional Museum – P55-M
10. Malabsay Falls Ecotourism Park Development – P26.3-M
With high hopes of seeing the additional projects included in the 2023-2028 tourism development plan of the Bicol Region, Mayor Legacion along with the members of the Sangguniang Panlungsod extended his appreciation and gratitude to the BRTC, the Department of Tourism in Bicol, and the National Economic Development Authority (NEDA) for their positive response and consideration.