Premyo Gualberto Manlagñit visual arts award for young bikolnon now accepts entries
ualberto Manlagñit was a newspaper editor, politician, writer, composer and visual artist. As a visual artist, he produced works of art that were singular because they came from a person whose lens and perspective were not mediated by any academic training. This should be an inspiration to young artists who, at this point in their lives, may not yet be recipients of any formal instruction in the field of painting and the use of any media.
The family of Manlagñit sought to communicate this unique legacy of Gualberto by sponsoring a watercolor painting contest. There are reasons for the choice of the medium – watercolor. One is the accessibility of the medium; the second is the affordability of the material.
1. The contest is open to all Bicolano youth, 15 to 30 years old. Each artist is enjoined to be ready with their birth certificate, the copy of which shall be attached to their entry.
2. There is no specific theme except that the Manlagñit family will present five (5) poems from which the artist can derive his inspiration for the subject matter to be developed for the watercolor painting.
3. The artist is to choose only one poem from the provided list.
4. The artist in order to signify his interest in joining the competition will need to submit a letter of intent to be emailed, mailed, or personally handed to the Secretariat (at Savage Mind, #5 Peninsula St., Mayon, Naga City, 4400 or at email@example.com with subject:Manlangit Prize 2022
5. The artist shall indicate in his letter that he is the sole artist behind his entry.
6. Artists shall choose among special papers available in many physical or online stores. The artist is free to choose among these sizes: A5, 9”x12”, or 12”x18”
7. No entry fee shall be collected from the artist.
1. The entry shall be submitted by the artist or his/her representative to the Premyo Gualberto Manlangit Visual Arts Award for Young Bikolnon c/o Savage Mind, #5 Peninsula, Mayon St., Naga City. Deadline of Submission of Entries is on June 30, 2022.
2. The entry shall contain the following: • the painting which shall be unframed; • a letter containing the copy of the poem upon which the painting is based; • certificate authenticating the painting as by the artist.
3. The Secretariat shall notify the artist of the results via social media (email/SMS)
4. The artists are enjoined to attend either personally or online the events to be organized by the organizers, which will include the awarding ceremonies.
Jurors and Judging
1. The organizers will be tasked with the selection of the jury for the contest, which shall be composed of art critic, visual artist, and a collector. Their names will be divulged once the results are released.
2. There will be ten finalists and three major awards: Grand Prize, Second and Third places, with the corresponding prizes: P15,000; P10,000, and P5,000, and book packages from Ateneo de Naga University Press and Savage Mind Bookshop respectively.
There seven finalists will receive P3,000 pesos, a certificate of recognition, plus a book package courtesy of Savage Mind Bookshop and Ateneo de Naga University Press
A plaque will be given to the Grand Prize winner.
3. Depending on the present pandemic and any improvement on the protocols, an awarding ceremony shall be held at a place and date to be designated by the organizer on the occasion of Gulaberto Manlangit’s Birth Anniversary, on July 12, 2022.
4. All entries shall be part of the collection of the Gualberto Manlagñit family and will be organized into a public exhibition at the Kamarin Art Gallery.
For any inquiries, please contact Mr. John Sherwin Acampado, Savage Mind, #5 Peninsula St. Mayon, Naga City, Camarines Sur.